Google Calendar

Friday 3 October 2014

Narrow defeat in the Reyner Shield

Marple 1st team played their first Manchester League match  of the season in the Reyner Shield last evening at the Navigation.

Marple 1       V     3C's 2          Reyner Shield  02/10/2014

1 M Fernandez   0-1    J Bentley
2 I Lentzos          0-1    A Lang
3 J Reed              0-1   J Horton
4 G Trueman   0.5/0.5  D James
5 P Kirby        0.5/0.5    J Rita
6 C Baker          1-0      R McLean
7 T Cowling        1-0      J Walton

                           3-4 

Don't be fooled by the "2" this was a very strong 3C's team with four players of at least 190 strength. Although we narrowly lost it was a very close affair and I would like to thank every one of our players who all put a tremendous amount effort into their games.

I really saw very little of this match as Dale was keeping me very busy. Michael told me afterwards he was always one tempi behind where he needed to be against the 3C's Captain and Marple Stockport League player John (B) . Ioannis found himself in an impossible  position in the last game to finish as he needed to win as all the tie-breaks favoured the opposition. Adams passed pawns were just too strong though. John (R) made his debut for Marple adding much  needed strength to our squad. I saw very little of the play but  he eventually lost to another  current Marple Stockport League player in Jamie!. My game was one of the luckiest half points I have ever made. Somehow I decided that it was neccessary to have my King in the centre of the board where it was very vulnerable to Dales marauding pieces. With a bad position and ten moves to make in four minutes I had mentally already resigned but I somehow clung on and accepted the  of offer of a draw on move 32 in a position where I suspect Dale still had the  advantage. The configuration of the tables meant Pauls game was the only one I saw much of and it was an epic battle as Paul took on a Grunfeld expert in the main line of the Exchange variation. Ultimately Paul secured a clear advantage but the  resulting B+N V Rook position was always going to be extremely difficult to win as Pauls slightly weak pawns ensured Black counterplay. I wasn't at all surprised when the position boiled down to a drawn Queen ending.
Chris' game was a wonderfully well played thematic Najdorf. Chris has sent the game out and it's well worth playing through. I hope Chris won't mind me saying that there is something quite startling about  seeing someone of his age with the Black pieces taking on and outplaying a well booked  up teenager in arguably the sharpest of all chess openings. I saw nothing at all of Terrys game but he continued his run of fine form with a very quick win.
So a narrow defeat but as the football managers like to say "Plenty of positives to take out of the performance"

Glenn.


No comments:

Post a Comment