Google Calendar

Saturday 7 March 2015

IS EARLY TROPHY THE LIMIT?

Our Limit League team travelled to Macclesfield on Monday as league leaders to face strong opposition.  Peter Kelly was due to stand in for team regular Trefor but had to withdraw at the last minute, so we had only three players.

That meant  we started 1-0 down with only three boards to play and we were out-graded by more than ten points on the top two boards.  Tony's game finished early in what he described as a French Rubinstein which lived down to it's reputation, a dullish draw.  On board three Martin showed that he is quickly remembering the skills of his schooldays and that his estimated grade is much too low.  Playing against Brian Woodhall,  Martin launched a Queenside attack and gave up a Knight for two pawns.  He then sacked his Queen in order to promote two pawns, ending up a rook ahead.  He described it as "a bit scary!".   Martin now has five wins and two draws in seven SDCL matches.

That left me on top board against Tom Robson.  Tom has been playing about four years and has quickly improved his grade; it's now 118 (the Limit is 120).  Unfortunately neither of  us played  consistently well.  After twenty moves I was lost - Fritz says -10!  The position was quite complicated (for us anyway) and we were both chasing the opposing King.  The trouble was my pursuit was frivolous.  Tom blundered and the game was level and then I managed to get a losing position again.  Eventually I realised I needed my Queen to defend; I withdrew it and should have swopped it but in the style of Barry I refused to let her go.  Nevertheless with very little time on my clock, I won a rook and was about to queen an outside pawn when Tom resigned.

The result  means Marple have won the Limit League and it's only early March!  We have had a consistent team all season, so thanks to Joseph, Martin, Tony and Trefor all of whom have played winning chess!  WELL DONE TEAM!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to all who have played. I look forward to seeing what the trophy looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. singapore crystal gifts printing singapore

    ReplyDelete