Google Calendar

Thursday 26 February 2015

MY DAY OUT

I should have approached this match like a young boy going to his first FA Cup Final, but I didn't.  I knew I was going to face a very strong player.  I also knew that Neil Dainty, playing for Marple 1 away to 3C's 1 was only Captain because he knew how to toss a coin and had a car!

So I sat down on Board 7 with the black pieces (yes, I lost the toss) against a young lad called Daniel Lea.  I didn't know his grade and I didn't ask; but I did know their team contained some of the strongest young players in the land and some very strong experienced players.

(55) LEA,Daniel (172) - DAINTY,Neil (108) [E87]
MCF d1, 25.02.2015

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f3 The Samisch.  I don't know this properly but I do recall a quote from a famous Grandmaster - "just ask the Knight on g1 what he thinks of f3!"
.....0–0 6.Be3 e5 7.d5 a5  to prevent b4 and allow Nc5
8.Bd3 Nbd7 9.Nge2 I'm not really sure now but I want to play f4. My next move is common in the KID 
......Ne8 10.Qd2  threatening Bh6, but I'll just have to ignore it
......f5 this is probably not right; one of the purposes of the Samisch is to negate this.  However my opponent had seemed unsure what to do from the start and used a lot of time thinking.  So much so, that I was wondering if he really was a strong player.  His next move seemed to be made in a "there's nothing else" manner.  His next repetitive moves were all made in the same way....very,....very,.. slowly.
11.Bg5 Bf6 12.Bh6 Bg7  if he retreats f4 looks good, anything else leads to Qh4+, winning the Bishop
13.Bg5 Bf6 14.Bh6 Bg7 and he put out his hand. 
 
I now realise he wasn't unsure what to do.  His apparent indecisiveness  was because, for once, I was playing all the right moves and in the right order!  My day out wasn't so bad after all!
 
 
XAB CDEFGHY
8r+lwqntrk+(
7+pzpn+-vlp'
6-+-zp-+pvL&
5zp-+Pzpp+-%
4-+P+P+-+$
3+-sNL+P+-#
2PzP-wQN+PzP"
1tR-+-mK-+R!
xabcdefghy
 
½–½
 



 

Andy's game finished early.  He told me he played a Scandavian but failed to equalise and resigned facing bid material losses.  My game finished about the same time; here it is from my perspective:


Isaac's game finished next:  "after a lazy day I thought I should continue in the same spirit when I sat down at the chess board.  When Mr. Walton decided to put 1. ...e6 onto the board (after 1. e4) I thought to myself  what better way to do justice to my idea than the exchange French (with 3. Bd3).  As you could guess this led to an unexciting draw on move 27, where we had a symmetrical pawn structure and a single knight each.  (I used 45 mins cf.70 mins approx.)

Meanwhile Paul put up stiff resistance against our friend John Bentley.  Paul had two passed pawns on the flanks, but John had two united passed pawns in the centre.  Paul told our correspondent "I was slowly crushed."  Terry was also putting on a great show, he opened up the h file for his rooks to support a passed g-pawn, but was very low on time and eventually lost.  His opponent thought Terry had missed a strong tactic just before this.

Chris was also playing strongly against Jamie Horton, who recently played in the world U20 championships in India.  Jamie had a strong bishop on h6, Chris had pawns on h7, g6 and f7, King on g8, Bh8.  A Knight check on e7 forced Chris to lose the exchange, but he fought back bravely despite the strong Rook on his second rank before Jamie eventually won.

The last game to finish was a cracker.  Daniel Abbass had a very strong unmovable Knight on g6, supported by a pawn on h5.  However Ioannis, a pawn down,  slowly pushed a passed pawn on the other flank which became a serious threat.  In a very tense finish he exchanged material and Daniel had to reluctantly agree it was drawn.

1.  Daniel Abbass 0.5 - 0.5   Ioannis Lentzos
2.  Alan Walton    0.5 - 0.5   Isaac Craft
3.  John Bentley       1 - 0     Paul Kirby
4. Jamie Horton        1 - 0     Chris Baker
5.  Jason Lau             1 - 0     Andy Jenkins
6.  Dale Jones           1 - 0     Terry Cowling
7.  Daniel Lea        0.5 - 0.5  Neil Dainty

              3C's 1      5.5 - 1.5   MARPLE 1

No comments:

Post a Comment