Google Calendar

Friday 9 October 2015

Captain Blunder

We set off for  our first MCF game this season knowing the venue was easy to miss and so it proved.  The top five boards were closely graded, but we had an advantage on the bottom two.  Tony did his bit on 7, but the Captain blundered a piece from a winning position for the second time in three days.  My dismal run of form continues and we lost as a result.

David told me his opening play was "defeated by a skilled duellist.  My pieces in the early middle game were tangled.  However I obtained a minor piece.  This proved at the expense of my pawn structure and I was only able to draw by counter sacrifice.  An exciting tussle".

Jeff played a French defence against 1. e4. His opponent played the advanced variation, but with 5.c4.  This was a new experience for Jeff but he won a pawn after a pawn exchange.  Jeff eventually lost an exchange and what was a very open game.

Tony also played a French Defence, Rubinstein variation.  His opponent, ungraded and not shown as registered on the MCF site, created a very dangerous-looking attack.  Tony defended stubbornly and eventually created some counter-play.  He eventually won Queen for Rook and won.

I didn't see much of Martin's game, but he tells me: "I played White with a Queen’s Gambit Declined. Unwisely sacrificed a bishop for two pawns but he was able to refute my plans for a queenside attack, and then a knight errant finished me off in brutal style".

We were 3-2 down with Alan and Terry still playing when Alan asked me if he should accept a draw offer.  As Terry looked certain to win I asked Alan to play on, although it looked a certain draw.  Next time I looked Alan had lined up Alekhine's Gun against against the a-pawn and soon took it.  But Peter won a pawn back and a draw was eventually agreed.  We were now certain to lose the match.

Terry had won a piece early on and carefully and gradually increased the pressure on the white king.  His opponent defended resolutely but without disturbing the cool calculating play of our leader.

So a 4-3 defeat at one of the best venues we visit.   Once you find it!




No comments:

Post a Comment