Google Calendar

Friday 15 May 2015

We Will Survive

However given the way I am feeling I may not.But  the good news is Marple ensured they would be playing First Division Manchester League chess next season with the following fine victory at the Navigation last evening.

Marple 1    V    Stockport 2  :Manchester Lge. Div. One: 14/05/2015 

1 S Hegarty   1-0      M Taylor
2 N Livesey   1-0      M Tunstall
3 A Jenkins   0.5/0.5  M Crowther
4 C Baker      0-1       A Coe
5 T Cowling    0.5/0.5 D Pardoe
6 D Preen      1-0        V Rushworth
7 J Barlow     0.5/0.5   J Kelly

                      4.5-2.5

This was in some ways the most important match of the season as if we had lost we may well have had to get a result against the very strong Chorlton team next week to avoid relegation. The run up to the match wasn't easy as six of our seven highest graded players were not available for various reasons. The situation got even worse on Wednesday as Sarah  was very ill and understandably said she wouldn't be able to play.By Thursday afternoon I really didn't know what to do as I had become so unwell I simply couldn't play chess. As I was looking through my address book to see who might be able to turn out Sarah contacted me to say she felt a bit better and within two seconds  she was taking my place and agreeing to Captain the team.
The odds were still against Marple as we were outgraded on, I think, five of the seven boards but there were lots of great performances to ensure we won by two clear points. Obviously I don't know what happened in the individual games so if anyone wants to comment or send in game scores they are more than welcome.
Last night  I told Sarah this result would go down in the history of Marple chess club. This may sound like a grandiose statement but is undeniably true - as I am now writing it.
Well done everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment