Google Calendar

Friday 28 November 2014

TOP IS THE LIMIT as Martin makes the cut!

Our Limit League team went back to the top of the table with an excellent win against a strong Denton team at the Navi last night.  Martin Cutts played his first game for the club and faced Tom Ireland. You don't expect to face a player graded 103 on Board 3 of the Limit League, as the rules stipulate the 4 boards must total 400 or less.  However Martin won easily going two pieces up early on - well done!

I was white on 2 and faced a Pirc Defence for the first time.  I fell for a simple trap in the opening,  an insignificant  one but I would have liked to see it coming!  Eric had his king castled behind his fianchettoed bishop, but I managed to create some pressure as my pieces where all pointing kingside.  I created a few threats which opened up a hole or two and nearly blew it thinking my rook could not have been taken, when it should have been.  Once I escaped that I finished the game nicely.

I didn't see much of the other games, but Tony was two pawns up and won comfortably I think.  Joseph lost an endgame when he couldn't stop a passed pawn although I'm reliably informed he played very well.

We play Denton for the third game next Wednesday; I heard them say they will field the same team.  We will continue with our squad rotation policy!

                         MARPLE 3 - 1 DENTON

1.  120               Tony Kay 1 - 0 Phil Boyd         117
2.    99           Neil Dainty  1 - 0  Erik Lesnik      114
3.  e80         Martin Cutts  1 - 0  Tom Ireland     107
4.    44  Joseph Anderson  0 - 1  Lee Maycock   e30

No comments:

Post a Comment