Google Calendar

Friday 7 November 2014

FIREWORKS AT DENTON

The Limit League team of Sparklers and Rockets travelled to Guide Bridge through dark skies with a noticeable lack of fireworks to lighten the gloomy night.  We arrived early which was just as well as none of the home team knew how to set the clocks!

It was my turn to take top board and quickly, in moves if not time,  I managed to box my white pieces in and give Phil Boyd a space advantage.  I don't excel in closed positions and it showed!

On bottom board Peter was facing a new, ungraded opponent and quickly won a couple of pieces and was first to finish.  Trefor unfortunately was next. 1-1.  On board 2 Tony was playing against Giorgio C. Below whose captain has told him he will not be selected again unless he changes his name!  Giorgio played quite forcefully but Tony went on to win comfortably.  2-1 Marple, but any hopes of the Charabanger bussing us home early were dashed by my slow and turgid play.

With Phil's knights on b4 and d4 threatening all sorts I went to the loo, as much to clear my addled brain as anything else.  When I returned the board looked completely different.  I had to do some quick thinking and realised he had exchanged one of his deadly knights for a bishop that resembled a limp hot dog that was about to meet it's end!  (is this another poor bonfire analogy? Ed.)

Most of Phil's advantage was now gone, although he still had much the better position.  Another exchange freed my position and my catherine wheels started to spin  (stop this now! Ed.).   My play improved dramatically and I managed to play a good attack helped by a rather nice Nh2-f3.
Phil resigned when I had only two minutes left but an overwhelming attack.

We are top of the limit league with 2.5 points from our 3 games.

    

1.  (117)                        Boyd, Philip A   0-1  Dainty, Neil C  (99)
2. (106) Menchelli-Lombardo, Giorgio   0-1  Doust, Antony  (99)
3. (104)                                Urwin, Ivan  1-0  Thomas, Trefor  (100)
3. (U/G)                           Maycock, Lee  0-1  Kelly, Peter H  (99)

1 comment: