Google Calendar

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Charnley Cup Semi Final : Chorlton v Marple

We're off to Wemberley!

Well, not quite, but we have reached the final of the Charnley Cup. We knew that Chorlton would be a tough team to beat and so it proved on a bizarre evening at Chorlton (what else?).

Firstly, we were all late arriving (us and them) due to traffic around Old Trafford. All except Glenn that is, who we suspected must have left home at about 6pm! Then, after no more than 10 minutes play all you could hear was Alex's opponent wittering on about something or other that had happened to him whilst it was Alex's move! I went over to have a look but by the time I had got there he had blundered and resigned!

We were soon 2-0 up when Glenn, having cast aside his copy of 'Drawing with White' got a huge position and quickly converted. It looked good, and I hope Glenn circulates the game. As Glenn was winning, my opponent offered me a draw. I had a look at the other games before deciding. I didn't know what the heck was going on in Daniel's game - he had sacced the exchange of f3 but it looked like it was his opponent who had the raging attack. Paul was in fairly early stages still and Michael was material down so I declined. Later he offered me a second draw which I also turned down. Michael then resigned as he was now 2 pawns down without any play but Daniel had defended the attack and possibly could win! Nevertheless, a draw was agreed in a game I'd like to see Daniel show us all.

So now my opponent offered a third draw! I didn't think I could lose the position and was minded to decline but the draw now guaranteed us a place in the final on board count even if Paul lost so I accepted. In the event, Paul drew (timidly, he said. I don't believe that) so we play Stockport Blues or Buxton in the final.

Well done all.

Sean

BD COLOUR HOME TEAM Result AWAY TEAM
1 W Hope Mkhumba ½-½ Daniel Fernandez
2 B David Knox 0-1 Alex Longson
3 W Philip Olbison ½-½ Paul Kirby
4 B Dennis Owen 0-1 Glenn Trueman
5 W Chris Vassiliou 1-0 Michael Fernandez
6 B Alan Beresford ½-½ Sean Hewitt
2½-3½

No comments:

Post a Comment