Google Calendar

Saturday 23 April 2011

Stockport D vs Marple B: 21st April 2011

The B team narrowly lost against a strong team at Stockport this week.

Stockport D RESULT Marple B
1 V Rushworth 1 0 Jeff Barlow
2 J Kelly 0 1 Peter Kelly
3 M Jackson 0 1 Trefor Thomas
4 I Anderson 1 0 Roy Phillips
5 A Prime 1 0 Barrie Edwards

TOTALS 3 2
I can't comment on the other games apart Peter's on board 2, he seemed to have a massive material advantage (rook) when I first looked and I thought the game would be over quickly; not so! Every time I looked up Peter seemed to have a greater material advantage, but his opponent was reluctant to resign and played on until he was mated. I was disappointed with my game. My opponent answered my 1. e4 with his own version of the Centre Counter which lead to a very open game. He made a mistake sacrificing a piece to take my g pawn then taking my f pawn with his Queen, with check, thinking he would recover his piece or possibly win outright. My queen could however interpose and defend my knight. So I thought perhaps I was winning, but it made my game really difficult. I only had an h pawn on the kingside so my extra piece was needed to shield my exposed king, this in turn became a target. My opponent's mistake began to look like a strategically sound sacrifice! I'm sure I could have done better but as usual I had left myself short of time and managed to blunder my extra piece trying to make the time control.

Next week we have the return fixture against Stockport and an opportunity to reverse this result.

No comments:

Post a Comment