Google Calendar

Monday 21 February 2011

Re: Stockport Reds v Marple A Thu 17 Feb

Hi all,
 
Ah yes, Plan B didn't work for me! I played a different variation to the one I played earlier in the season against the same opponent to make him think of something other than f3 and his usual pawn storm, but I'm not convinced about the particular line that I chose. Although the position is considered equal (even by Fritz - 0.00) I'm not convinced that Black has sufficient counterplay and has to defend accurately throughout. This was largely proved correct when I knew the match score required a win for myself and George to salvage the 3-3 and tried to advance only to let my opponent in, although taking a hot pawn didn't help! I think I'll revert to my patented move order in future, at least I'll have a decent pawn structure which will please Philidor - Plan A!!
 
Terry
 
 
 
In a message dated 02/20/11 12:15:22 GMT Standard Time, sean.d.hewitt@gmail.com writes:
Defeat in a game that I thought we might do well in unfortunately.  Michael felt for an opening trick (that I fell for last year!) to lose an exchange early on and couldn't hold the resulting position.  I wasn't far behind.  I had a nice position but made the cardinal sin of moving a protected piece to an unprotected square.  This led to a combination that ultimately cost me a piece and the game.

So, 2-0 down after less than 90 minutes (and we weren't playing football).  Alex soon drew in a complex position in which he was probably better but was also short of time.  It would have been easy to lose.

Glenn generated an interesting position against his Spanish opponent which looked like it might have enough weaknesses for force a win but there wasn't so another draw and the score was 1-3.

George had a double edged game against Dave Pardoe and despite looking hair raising (to me) at times, it soon became apparent that he would win, which he duly did.

Which meant all rested on Terry, our star performer this year.  Unfortunately, his opponent always had the better position and to be fair finished it nicely in the end.

So four more league games to go.  We probably need a couple of wins to be absolutely safe - lets try for one of those in the next game, at Denton on Wednesday 2nd March!

Stockport Reds  4 - 2  Marple A
Bd Stockport Reds Home Away Marple A
1 Hulmes, David I 0.5 0.5 Longson, Alexander
2 Taylor, Mike 1 0 Fernandez, Michael
3 Sheppard, Daniel C 1 0 Hewitt, Sean D
4 Pardoe, David 0 1 Kolbusz, George
5 Arnal, Paula Perez 0.5 0.5 Trueman, Glenn
6 Crowther, Michael P 1 0 Cowling, Terry
 

No comments:

Post a Comment